Monday, January 26, 2009

No, it's God's water!


Ok, so this post has absolutely nothing to do with water, but I LOVE Super Troopers and I try to work in quotes from that movie into my daily conversation. So sue me! ( And yes, I do have the need to pistol whip someone when I hear the word "Shenanigans") This post is actually more about God. Not so much God, himself, rather the fact that God really has nothing to do with your team winning the game or not. With the Super Bowl (Go CARDS) *excuse me, I sneezed* less than a week away, I thought I would take this time to address an issue that has been bugging me for years. But first I'd like to thank God for allowing me to post this and to score that winning touchdown! *points up to sky, tears in eyes*
I'm not an extremely religious person. I do believe in a God and Goddess and that karma is a bitch. I don't go to church on a regular basis, but I don't judge those who do. What I do have a problem with are the athletes who after they hit a home run, make a touchdown, get a hat trick or win the game, thank God. So are you really telling me that God prefers one team over the other?? REALLY?? That God prefers LeBron James to Kobe Bryant? Ok, sure we can argue that they have "God given talent" I'll give you that one. However, it was through years of dedication and coaching that helped professional athletes to develop and hone their skills. Why aren't they thanking their parents for giving up Saturday Mornings, Friday Nights and week nights for practices and games? Why not thank the coaches and staff who get paid minimum wage with little to no overtime, cuz they do it for the love of the game? And speaking of that, why don't some of these players take some of their $5.76 million/year contracts and go buy equipment for their Elementary, Middle or High Schools?
Sorry, got off on a rant. I'm just saying that I doubt God really cares. Sunday is the day of rest, is it not? I'd like to think that God is off doing something better with his time then deciding whether the Miami Dolphins or the Minnesota Vikings should win. And how would God decide anyhow? A flip of the coin? Whoever prayed the hardest the night before? Whoever attended church the most or didn't beat his wife? The team that has the best looking uniforms?
This Sunday, will it be Kurt Warner and the Cardinals? Will it be Ben Roethilisberger and the Steelers? Can't wait to see which huge foam finger God is waving on Sunday! (pretty sure it won't be a towel!)

No comments: